A tale of unexpected visitors,
creepy stalking parents
and a gentle friend who makes guitars.

As a family we’ve tried to get to the snow on a couple of different occasions over the years and each time, someone has broken their leg – before we left. It’s a bit of a sore point, especially for Maddy and me because we weren’t the ones doing the breaking.

So last week when she announced that she’d given up on the whole family ski trip thing and was off to the snow with her boyfriend for a couple of days, we made a spur of the moment (a-last-minute-let’s-make-it-quickly-before-someone-breaks-their-leg sort of decision) to join them.

Well not join them exactly, but sort of tag along, you know stay somewhere else but catch up with them on the slopes, for a coffee … or a drink … oh go ahead and say it … gatecrash their weekend.

Yes we turned into creepy stalking parents who gatecrashed their daughter’s romantic weekend away.

Yes I know … I know!

Kangaroos

Actually it wasn’t as bad as it sounds. We booked a little cabin at the Kosciuszko Mountain Retreat.

Simple, clean and perfect for a pair of happy campers and their son. And we ended up with our own unexpected visitors.

It had been 17 years since Steve and I had been skiing.  17 looooooooong years!

By the end of Day 1, we were feeling every one of them.

By lunchtime on Day 2, I was looking for divine intervention and it came in the form of a massive electrical storm that closed the whole mountain (Damn that storm!) and left me happily ensconced at mid station with a kahlua and milk in one hand and a paintbrush in the other.

(Not my best effort in the sketchbook but I was just grateful to be able to lift a paintbrush at this point. Funnily enough I seemed to have no problem with the kahlua. On reflection that could have been the problem.)

Anyway after a bite to eat with the kids and with rain, fast turning to sleet, fast turning to snow, we decided to hit the road and head to a friend’s place in Canberra because there was NO WAY our sad and sore bodies were going to make the six hour drive back to Bathurst.

And as always, when we make the decision to slow things down, and take the time to stop, the whole destination here and now thing kicks into gear.

Simon is a beautiful friend.

A gentle man.

And he makes furniture.

I’d seen photos of his work over the years but until last night I’d never seen his work first hand.

I’d never fully appreciated that when it comes to wood, Simon is an artist.

A sculptor.

A designer.

But interestingly his first love is not furniture, nor men in lederhosen … his first love is making guitars.

Simon Ramsey guitar work in progress

He showed us his workshop

and you could just feel the joy he has for this work.

The precision

The beauty of the process.

The skill.

One day, when this little blog isn’t quite so little (she says dreamily), I’m going to go back to Simon’s and spend some real time taking some photos of his beautiful guitars and maybe just maybe, people will see them and call him from all around the world, and say “Simon Ramsey, I want one of your beauties for myself.”

A wise friend of mine told me a while back that her mum used to say:
“You should always have a dream in your pocket.”

Well that’s my dream for this week.

I hope you have one in yours too.

Have a good one.

Marg xx

P.S. Thankyou Dave and Gina at Kosciuszko Mountain Retreat for the little discount on the accommodation. Much appreciated.

1. Posted 19 September 2012 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

I always love reading your words Marg. Even though I have never heard your voice, I hear it clearly through your writing and it always makes me feel… calm. Your blog is like an oasis for my soul. I hope one day we get to cross paths and chat face to face, but until then, I’ll keep that in my pocket :)

Posted 19 September 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Oh Hannah I think that is the loveliest comment I’ve yet had. A little teary. Sounds corny yeah? I tell you what if I was a little younger I’d be on that rickshaw run with you and the girls. Or at the end cheering you on!! Steve and I have been looking at The Adventurists site pondering… pondering. lol Yes, let’s meet one day. We’ll find a new/different adventure. You’re on. Thank you. Really. xx

2. Posted 19 September 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

I LOVE that, one should always have a dream in their pocket! I agree! Your photos are incredible, I love photographing artisans. They indeed are passionate about their craft!

Posted 20 September 2012 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you Elizabeth. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

3. Tracey
      Posted 20 September 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Wonderful photos – looks like a fantastic weekend – despite the muscle strain! There are a lot better things than keeping up with that fast ski crowd.

Posted 20 September 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Absolutely Trace but it was nice to know we could still do it. My Dad downhilled till he was in his early 70s. And also did a lot of cross countrying in later years. I have a new appreciation of why he took to the back country x

4. Posted 20 September 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

OK – so the wildlife is gorgeous and the guitars are divine but all I took from this post is that YOU WERE IN CANBERRA and didn’t stop in to say hello… and I have a dream in my back pocket.

Posted 20 September 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Ahhh Libbbehhh! I just didn’t even think!!! We were so buggered!

Forgive me?

whimper

5. Simon Ramsey
      Posted 20 September 2012 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

One day, sooner rather than later, I hope.
      Beautiful words and pics as always Marg’,
      But the best was simply having you here.
      LOL ( not laugh out loud), S.

Posted 20 September 2012 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

You can laugh out loud all you like :) Thanks for having us lovely x

6. Posted 23 September 2012 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Keeping the thought with me that you should always have a dream in your pocket! And loving the photos from the workshop!

Posted 23 September 2012 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks Michelle. I’m really enjoying your blog too.

One Trackback

• By Fab Five New Loves and Likes | Pattern & co on 23 September 2012 at 8:23 pm

[...] stories and fascinating photos (I adore the wattle photography and the amazing images that Margaret snapped at the workshop of Simon Ramsey)   // Facebook // [...]