The business of blogging and how to write epic shit

We’ve been having a discussion over at Blog Brilliantly about the future of blogging and the importance of great content, or “writing epic shit” as Corbett Barr over at Think Traffic describes it.

The moment I closed the window on it, a new post arrived in my inbox from Rohan Anderson over at Whole Larder Love, one of my favourite blogs.

Rohan lives in rural Victoria. He’s opted out of city life. His world is simpler but not without its complexities. Thesedays he negotiates the seasons and the many challenges of trying to live sustainably. He shares delicious pieces of it regularly online and he has just released his first book.

This guy can take photos and he can write. And he can turn a four hour walk from town to his rural block into what I now like to call …  a beautiful little piece of epic shit.  If you’re interested in living with a gentler footprint, you might like to wander over and take a peek at  Whole Larder Love.

Photo of train tracks from Rohan Anderson's blog Whole Larder Love

Rohan is one of my benchmarks.

Sometimes I feel like I get close.

Sometimes I know I miss the mark altogether.

But you’ve got to have something to aim for hey.

And I’m not just talking about blogging here.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Photo lifted from Whole Larder Love. I don’t think he’ll mind ;)

1. Sue
      Posted 4 December 2012 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I too am a huge fan of Rohans blog – in fact thats how I found you!
      Its one of those blogs that always leaves you questioning things which I for one think is a good thing!

Posted 4 December 2012 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Small online world :) It makes me question what I’m doing Sue. Whether it’s enough. Whether I can be doing more – especially to make the world a little better. Sounds so twee when I write it like that. But I’d love to achieve here what Rohan manages to do, to make people stop and think a bit.

• Sue
          Posted 4 December 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Same here!
          I have the space and grow alot of our own vegies etc but I just know there is more that I can do and hate that I am on that working just to survive treadmill.
          Ro certainly has a lot to answer for – in a good way :-)

2. Helen Dunne
      Posted 4 December 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Marg,
      Firstly, you’re doing a great job in your own unique way with your BLOG and I believe that is what information sharing is all about. We all can have admiration/envy for what others are doing and that is normal, and I am sure others have admiration and envy for you.

Don’t get distracted by what others are doing, apart from enjoying their work. All you can do is what comes from you and your experience . This is what we enjoy. Keep up the good work, it just keeps getting better. xo

Posted 4 December 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Helen. That’s really nice of you say to say so and know that I mean it sincerely.
        I posted a quote on the fb site last week that said “Never compare your beginning to someone else’s middle.” mmmm … what’s that other one about following your own advice??
        It’s not really about being envious about a blog like Ro’s, it’s more just wondering if I can use this one to do a bit of good myself somewhere along the way. Or inspire others. Anyway, there’s plenty of time for that. For now I’m having a lovely time doing what I do and hopefully, like you, it’s a little port of calm amidst the storm in everyone’s week. xx

3. Posted 5 December 2012 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

See it’s a good thing I opened your blogpost as I’ve been looking for some course to improve a couple of specific things on my blog including the writing and it seems that blog brilliantly is the perfect fit for me. Have you been with them for long? Is it worth it? Sounds like fun…
      Checking it out now!

Posted 5 December 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Simone it’s very different to BYW. Mainly travel bloggers and Christine doesn’t pull any punches but I’ve learnt soooo much. I actually don’t think it matters what genre you write for. Definitely check it out.

4. Posted 7 December 2012 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

“Negotiating the seasons”. I think the “normal life” blurs the seasons. To look at the world seasonly is quite invigorating, I think. And it can be started by simply growing a few plants–vegetables preferably. When I started gardening it gave me a whole new take on the year. I love it. Sure, I suffer the usual malaise. I’m slightly depressed when I pick the last tomato of the season but excited by the prospect of more broccoli and kale than I can poke a stick at, just months away. And rich soil afterwards; ready for the next crop of tomatoes.

Posted 8 December 2012 at 12:23 am | Permalink

I’m always a bit sad to see the last of the tomatoes too Paul but I agree, growing your own does put you more in touch with the seasons.