So I picked up a pencil and got snuggled by a ghost. How was your weekend?

I honestly can’t remember what prompted me to start this blog.

But we’ve just celebrated our first 12 months.

gate_front verandah_warry's cottage_hill end

And I seem to have more dreams now than when I started.

Who would have thought that 12 months on I’d have begun this crazy journey over on the facebook page, virtual travelling my way around the Mediterranean, building the seeds of friendships with people in Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia.

Next stop Libya. Come on.

With the intention of doing it for real in 2016. Really? Who would have thought?

And who would have thought I would have interviewed my Italian cooking hero, Marcella Hazan? Highlight!!

There’s a lot that goes into blogging – particularly time – far more than I originally envisaged but it’s been a lovely journey so far. I so hope you’ve enjoyed it too.

side fence hill end

I took a bit of time out on the weekend and went to Hill End for a yoga retreat with a group of girlfriends.

We stayed in a teeny tiny miner’s cottage and a ghost visited me one night in bed. Just snuggled in next to me. Not scary at all.

I left the computer behind. I relaxed. Found stillness. Inside and out.

And I picked up an autumn pencil.

It had been too long.

hill end drawing _ autumn 2013

hill end drawing 2 _ autumn 2013

hill end drawing 3 _ autumn 2013

hill end drawing 4 _ autumn 2013

hill end drawing 5 _ autumn 2013

hill end drawing 7 _ autumn 2013

My friends told me they’d found a place where there is more land than sky.

So late on Sunday afternoon we went to find it.

View from Hawkins Hill

Hill after hill, rolling into a pale blue distance.

Perched on a high point, with pencil in hand.

We found ourselves some space. Inside and out.

A beautiful here and now.

I can’t tell you how good it felt.

You might start to see a little more ink and paper in the coming months, a little less computer.

I hope that’s ok.

Thank you so much for sharing the last 12 months with me.

Marg xx

1. Posted 16 April 2013 at 8:50 am | Permalink

This is just wonderful – SO glad you picked up your autumn pencil! Congratulations and Happy Birthday and keep on doing what you do so well – it’s unique. F x

Posted 16 April 2013 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Thanks Fran. You’ve been one of the gifts of the past 12 months too xx

2. Tracey Carpenter
      Posted 16 April 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Dear Marg,
      They look wonderful. I especially love the more land than sky view. It was the sensation of looking into the sea if the water wasn’t there – all you would see. More below than above.
      Thanks so much for your wonderful talents. I’m glad Hill End got you going again after our visit there some years ago – you’re every bit a true artist!
      Love Trace
      PS is it your birthday???

Posted 16 April 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Thanks Trace. Not my birthday, the blog’s! 1 year since we started. Twas a lovely weekend.

3. Posted 16 April 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Such a lovely blog post Marg. Hugo congratulations on 12 months … keep on blogging! Xx

Posted 16 April 2013 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you Hugo. Lovely to know you swing by too with Hannah xx Love to you both.

4. Posted 16 April 2013 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

I was stunned to see those beautiful drawings. And happy you let your child play. congrats on a year of blogging. Your posts are like lovely haikus. And you are proof that you can use a blog to inspire yourself to be more creative. Thank you for my inspiration too.

Posted 16 April 2013 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Shalagh you’ve made my day if you’ve left a little inspired. Made my day ! 🙂 Thanks lovely x

5. Susan Douglas
      Posted 18 April 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Wow Marg, your drawings are great, so striking, I love the limited palette. You’re so clever ! 🙂

Posted 27 April 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

The limited palette was a happy accident. I left my toys of choice back at the cottage. Sue you should be doing more of this sort of thing. Seriously. The little I’ve seen is great.

6. Posted 27 April 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Yihuu, congratulations to the 1-year old! And yoga retreat sounds like a heaven, something I was looking into at Easter but it never materialised. Well, I would’ve dragged my little one along, so maybe it wouldn’t have been such a peaceful haven after all… And I love the drawings… That’s the one skill I don’t possess AT ALL, hence it amazes me when people can really do it!

Posted 27 April 2013 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks Satu. Still a babe in the woods.

7. Posted 19 June 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

more pen ink, paint and conte please 🙂

Posted 19 June 2014 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

ha. I like this little series too. My friend Harrie Fasher, an artist with a capital A, gave me some lovely gritty grey paint and that was the basis of these – painted in advance. Gave a lovely ground and bite. I left my main pack at the house. A happy accident having limited supplies. There could be something in that …