The exciting first and final stage of the second Hogan Giro de Bathurst

Steve and I went for our second bike ride of the year on Sunday.

I know this because I checked last year’s posts and discovered that it was exactly –  exactly – 12 months to the day since we’d last hit the tar and taken on the extremely challenging eastern route out of town to the Stone Pine Distillery. I’m now pondering if it’s a behavioural thing. Ducks fly south. Hogans go for a bike ride…

Our trusty treadlies were covered in spider webs. Covered. God knows what was lurking under the seats but despite that Team Hogan and its support crew of skulking arachnids set off to the encouraging toots of passing traffic – aka one carload of friends – who we later learned were so inspired by what they saw that they’re off to the bike shop with plans to join us. Good for you. See you next May! Quack.

This year the planned route was to head north out of the CBD then west along the Macquarie River to explore the new bike track that Council has extended beyond the outskirts of the city towards Abercrombie House.

We got close…so close. The early stages went quite well. And then things started to go pear shaped for our team leader.

Ever since Steve sold three sculptures at the All Saints Art Show a couple of weeks ago (sideline yay!) he’s been playing up the whole artist routine and has become – how do I say this tactfully – a little delicate. Despite the end of Stage 1 being nearly in sight he’d had enough. I don’t know if it was the paisley cravat flapping in the breeze, or the claret beret clashing with his helmet that was affecting his performance. It could have been the velvet cape. But there was nothing for it but to turn around.

marg's watercolour of the biker

“That first stage wasn’t easy,” said Hogan, tilting his beret slightly to the side. “Those river flats were much flatter than I anticipated.”

In the final stage (which is actually a repeat of the first stage – the one along those flat river flats – just in reverse) we took it even slower (if that were possible) and next thing he’s cosying up alongside me. A gentle bike ride on a beautiful blue autumn day with someone you love. Nice. Until you realise that you’re actually being used as a wind break, that despite his fatigue Hogan still had plenty of race smarts, tucking in behind my substantial draft, coasting along, doing whatever he could to avoid the the ferocious two knot headwind. We made a memorable peloton let me tell ya. Expletives and all.

It wasn’t actually tiredness that pulled us both up in the end, it was the fact that our arses were SCCCCRRRRREAMING!!!

Just on that note can anyone recommend a good gel or lambswool seat? If we’re going to get serious and turn this into an official annual event it’s something we’re definitely going to have to investigate.

We straggled back into town and decided that our friends who live by the river were way overdue for a visit, so we pulled in and rested our sorry butts in their backyard and had a cup of tea.

30 minutes later feeling utterly refreshed we left our bikes there.

And then got them to drive us home. Not the bikes. Our friends. Our bikes wouldn’t talk to us.

As I write this I’m just waiting for the support vehicle to deliver them so we can set out again.

Quack. You heard me.

1. Posted 28 May 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Baaahhaahhaa. That is all how I’ve ever felt on a bicycle. Made a great story. Now you can just rid yourself of the bikes and rent them once a year.

Posted 29 May 2013 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Now there’s a thought Shalagh but no, we are determined to make it more regular. She says … hahaha xx glad you got a giggle

2. Janeen
      Posted 29 May 2013 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Oh Margie,

This is the funniest thing I have read in bloody ages! It reminded me of the killer scripts you used to write – full of wry humour. Very, very funny. xx

Posted 29 May 2013 at 8:00 am | Permalink

aw thanks Janeen. When can we expect to see some lycra?

3. Posted 29 May 2013 at 8:31 am | Permalink

Marg! Brilliant. However, I may have a little quip about the connection you draw between the words artist and delicate…
      Perhaps I am being… sensitive! X

Posted 29 May 2013 at 8:43 am | Permalink

ah Harrie, first rule of writing, never let the truth stand in the way of a good story. Trust me I’ve had first hand experience with an expert haha

4. Posted 31 May 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

“a little delicate” – oh that made me laugh. 🙂 Thank you so much for leaving a note on my blog today. It meant so much to me. 🙂 It is lovely to meet a friend of Lisa’s and I look forward to getting to know you better through your posts. 🙂

Posted 31 May 2013 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Right back at you 🙂

5. Susan Douglas
      Posted 3 June 2013 at 8:13 am | Permalink

Bloody wimps! Loved the article Marg, really very funny. XX

Posted 3 June 2013 at 8:24 am | Permalink

ooo that’s harsh haha! Maybe we should have a challenge Mademoiselle … she says throwing her glove to the ground and flicking her head back. x