A tale of vikings … and a little Thursday night lust

Yay it’s Thursday!! Pass the fan.

Thursday nights have turned into a little bit of an event in our house. SBS is running a new series called ‘Vikings’ and it’s had the same effect on Darce as leaving a fresh bunch of leaves outside a wombat burrow. Our hermetic 15 year old pops out of his room to watch it, then slopes back an hour later when his mother’s sighs–over the lead character Ragnar Lothbrok–become too much for him. I’ve always appreciated fine acting skills.

“Women over 50 have desires too you know,” I told Darce and his friends over breakfast on Sunday morning.

The horror! You can imagine the response. Nothing like messing with adolescent minds over sausages and eggs.

Travis Fimmel in The Vikings

The interesting thing about Ragnar is that when he’s not raiding, plundering and being utterly loyal to his equally stunning warrior wife (which makes him even more sigh worthy) he’s an Aussie in real life – aka Travis Fimmel, from Echuca in country Victoria.

In yet another past life Travis packed a punch and a whole lunch box full of goodies into a Calvin Klein underpants campaign. And when I say packed a punch I’m talking traffic chaos. They had to take the billboard down. I might have made that bit up but that’s what I heard. On the internet of all places.

Anyway Vikings has seeped into the Hogan household and is now proudly up there with Game of Thrones and Survivor. I read something years ago that suggested that one of the keys to a happy relationship is that it’s good to share a love of some inane|ridiculous|mindless show. Just one. Over the years our friends have learnt not to ring on Survivor night. I know they think it’s a bit pathetic. I think it’s a bit pathetic. But there you go. It makes us happy. And if that’s what it takes to lure the lad out of his den I’m happy to jump aboard Ragnar’s vessel any day of the week.

Another little spin off from this northern offering is that Steve aka Sven Hogstrom has been up in the shed creating …

‘The Viking Ship with Winged Keel’ … because even Vikings need every advantage they can get. It’s still a work in progress. He’s debating whether to put little shields along the edges but I love it as it is.

viking boat steel sculpture stephen hogan

Anyway so I’m left musing about Christmas holidays and thinking Echuca’s somewhere we’ve never been before. All good Vikings would come home to see their mum for Christmas don’t you think? 😉

Have a happy week.

love ya x

P.S. Don’t call between 9.30-10.30 tonight (she says with a little frisson of excitement and … was that a whimper!)

ewwww grosss!!!

1. Bin P
      Posted 22 August 2013 at 10:42 am | Permalink

Love it Marg, I think I’m going to jump on board and tune in too.
      Love the messing around with the boys heads …lol
      And Steve, keep up the good work!

xx

Posted 22 August 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Episode 4 tonight Bin. You might have to play catchup. It’s all about the story! x

2. Posted 22 August 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Lucky my husband likes it too (for different reasons), so we can savour tonight's episode 🙂

Posted 22 August 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Whatever floats your Viking boat Sophia 😉

3. Margaret Andersson
      Posted 22 August 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Fantastic Marg! I use to mess with my sons adolescent mind at times. I laughed out loud when reading that bit! Think I’ll tune in to SBS tonight and then play catch up as you call it! Absolutely LOVE the sculpture as well. Can’t get enough of your wonderful Blog 🙂

Posted 22 August 2013 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Margaret. Lovely of you to say so. If you can help spread the word I might be able to do more of it 🙂 Glad you got a laugh x

4. Posted 23 August 2013 at 3:23 am | Permalink

OH yes Echuca sounds like the perfect get away lol x
      Our family show is Modern Family and many years ago pre children Sam and I would sit in bed watching Alley Mc Beal.
      Just love Sven’s viking boat I bet he can give Ragnor a run for his money!!
      sending love all the gang in Italy x

Posted 23 August 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

There you go! Proof of the theory! Unfortunately Sven has a man cold at the moment so he’s not firing on all cylinders but I’ll pass on the vote of confidence Lisa 😉 He’ll enjoy that. Im thinking you’ll be entering your first full autumn over there soon. Really nice to see the piece on Living in the Langhe on your family. And to see an outsider’s view of what you’re up to. Beautiful valley! Take care. Marg x

5. Margaret VH
      Posted 23 August 2013 at 6:18 am | Permalink

Wanted to watch this series and forgot…thanks for the enjoyable reminder. Passing through Echuca next hols so will keep an eye out for you. M

Posted 23 August 2013 at 8:15 am | Permalink

I never thought I’d be jealous of someone passing through Echuca Marg. Do keep an eye out. And make sure you say hi from the Hogstroms! Lovely to have you pop in and say hi BTW xx

6. Posted 23 August 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Damn, we don’t get the Vikings over here! Let’s see if I can find any (probably) illegal copies online…

This post really made me chuckle, keep on shocking the teenage boys and I think Echuca is a perfectly good spot for holidays, even though I don’t even know where exactly it is on the map… On the other hand you could come to Norway to see the real Vikings, or whatever is left of them. Actually, up in Lofoten there is a brilliant viking museum (the Lofotr) which would be worth a visit! 🙂

Posted 23 August 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Surely you must know that all the best Vikings are imported from Oz! The first link in the story takes you to SBS on demand. I don’t know if it will work for you in Norway. Another reason to visit Lofoten! Glad you got a smile x

• Posted 23 August 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Ha ha, that’s a piece of history lesson I missed, but looking at Mr. Fimmel (or Ragnar) I kind of want to believe that. And nope, the link didn’t work here, I think it’s restricted based on geographical location. Anyway, have a lovely weekend, we are just starting Friday here.

Posted 23 August 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

You too. I’m about to pour a red 🙂

7. Posted 23 August 2013 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I am being very outrageously patient and waiting for the entire season on DVD so I can watch it from start to finish. I CAN’T WAIT!!! 🙂

Posted 23 August 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Binge viking. I love it.

8. Posted 24 August 2013 at 1:22 am | Permalink

Marg,
      I miss the days watching a special TV show with my hubby. Thinking Sven’s a lucky man there. Since the lady of the ship, who so doesn’t look a day over 38, likes the actor’s lunchbox full of goodies. Dying over here.
      And the sculpture’s too cool.
      We too have a boy we tease mercilessly. They’re here for our entertainment, right?

Posted 24 August 2013 at 9:55 am | Permalink

There have to be some plusses to teenagehood! x

9. Posted 25 August 2013 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Have five years yet for those teen years for the boy. Twelve for the girl. I’ll be saying “We 60 year-olds have desires too ya’ know.” Ewwww.

Posted 25 August 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

Ahhh funny!

10. Rhonda
      Posted 9 November 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Dear marg
      I too am an over fifties Fimmel fan. Down in echuca right now and not a Fimmel in sight. Even asked at echuca info centre. They didn’t know….bugger!!! Hubby thought we came to see steam boats!!!! Unsure what I’d do if I had a sighting probably gawk and dribble my ice cream

Posted 9 November 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I simply CANNOT believe that the Echuca Visitors Centre does not have the low down on Travis or at least his mum and dad or Aunty Beryl. Unforgivable Rhonda. I hope you gave them a serve 😉 Thankyou for leaving me with a picture of you walking down the main street of Echuca licking an ice cream and thinking of Travis lol x