Bathurst: a tale of ochre, red brick, blues and blossoms

Let me take you for a wander …

bathurst wrought iron verandah

for Bathurst is very pretty at the moment.

bathurst street scene and japonica

And while you might still need your gloves for an early morning walk …

bathurst steam rising from fence

Just find yourself a sunny sheltered spot.

Bathurst heritage verandah

Before you know it those verandahs will be filled with voices and laughter and afternoon drinks.

bathurst fence details

And those end of winter blues will be behind us…

heritage home and flags

Close your eyes.

Listen.

Our little town is coming back to life.

Bathurst in blue

Can you smell the scent of summer evenings?

Well perhaps it’s not quite here yet …

bathurst pink blossom

but it’s promised, oh yes it’s promisedย in this beautiful first breath of spring.

1. simon ramsey
      Posted 2 September 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Beautiful images, ‘Marg!

Posted 2 September 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Thanks Simon. I imagine Canberra is emerging too.

2. Posted 2 September 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Oh wow!! This is stunningly, quietly, exquisitely beautiful. ๐Ÿ™‚ How I love this time of year. We don’t have cherry blossoms in my part of Queensland yet, but we do have field daisies and little bean and pea shoots. ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted 2 September 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

You’re ahead of us Krista. We haven’t got anything in the vegie patch yet. Thanks lovely. x

3. Susan Douglas
      Posted 2 September 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Beautiful Marg, the blog just gets better! x

Posted 2 September 2013 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue. I have to say I’m loving the new camera.

4. Posted 2 September 2013 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Can feel the gorgeous crispness of it all…(even in this heat)..love them all xx

Posted 3 September 2013 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Thanks Millie. It’s beautiful at the moment. x

5. Posted 3 September 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

I say it every time. How I love your photographs and the simple beauty of the words you pair them with. Thank You as always.

Posted 3 September 2013 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

I don’t get tired of hearing it Shalagh lol. Really appreciate you touching base. And sincerely pleased that you’re enjoying it all so much. x

6. Posted 3 September 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

beautiful moo

Posted 3 September 2013 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

thanks haz

7. bev
      Posted 4 September 2013 at 8:21 am | Permalink

Thanks for a nostalgic walk around Bathurst… I lived in William Street for a few years and enjoyed seeing places I recognised. Particularly loving the view of the lattice at the old Royal.
      Spring has sprung in Tumut too.

Posted 4 September 2013 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Hi Bev, The lattice is in William Street but not on the Royal. I think it’s up towards Lambert and Rocket streets. Enjoy your September. Glad these brought back some memories. Thanks for dropping by. x

8. Posted 8 September 2013 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous as always! You really do Bathurst justice, is it all that pretty out there!?

Posted 9 September 2013 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Bathurst is the oldest inland European settlement in Australia. Next year is its bicentennary. While we’ve lost some stunning heritage buildings over the years, the city of 40,000 people has many beautiful old homes – particularly in the central part of town which is a heritage area. Outside of town, there are also some important historic homes on farming properties. It’s one of the things I love about Bathurst – its heritage. And it’s one of the things people say they miss when they move away to newer areas. There are new suburbs popping up on the outskirts that don’t have the same feel as the old areas but that’s to be expected I guess. They don’t make homes like they used to. Our little house was built in 1916 I think, what they call Federation style.

• Posted 12 September 2013 at 7:31 am | Permalink

I did read your reply even though I didn’t get back to you, just wanted to say that as I really appreciated your detailed history of Bathurst, it really sounds like a charming place besides looking like one also.

Posted 12 September 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink