Is the ocean really broken?

I read one of the most distressing articles I’ve read in a while last week.

“The Ocean is Broken”  is the account of an ocean sailor’s journey across the Pacific.

“What was missing were the cries of seabirds that surrounded the boat on previous voyages across the same seas. The birds were missing because the fish were missing.”

rockpool painting by Margaret Hogan

I also spent some time today online trying to work out what the hell is happening in Fukushima. Wondering, two and half years later, what Tepco is really doing to stop the leaks. Whether they are getting anywhere. Or nowhere. And wondering the same of the Japanese government and whether we are being told the full story. Wondering why there isn’t more of an outcry from the international community. At which point Steve piped in and added “And why is Japan hosting an Olympics with a whatever price tag when it’s spewing radioactive fluid into our oceans?” My ocean. The ocean I grew up alongside. The ocean we escape to.

rockpool grey

An unnatural silence.

Rockpool painting by Margaret Hogan

Am I missing something?

Rockpool painting by Margaret Hogan

Is the ocean really broken?

Paintings © Margaret Hogan

Postscript…

I thought I’d add some of the links I came across. You might find them interesting. What frustrates me is that there doesn’t seem to be a clear international analysis of what’s happening. It’s like everyone’s taking Japan’s word for it that it’s under control when it’s clearly not. If anyone has better information please feel free to post links. M.

1. Posted 29 October 2013 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

I continue to be horrified by the things that are happening that are destroying our beautiful world in such a sneaky way. 🙁

Posted 30 October 2013 at 9:16 am | Permalink

You’re not alone Krista. I had lunch last week with an old uni friend of mine and we were saying that when we were young we really believed that we could change things. I have to hang on to that thought. I’m hesitating from saying that the interests and power of big business and political parties are indomitable forces but at the end of the day, they all still rely on people power to support them. Or not support them!

2. Posted 30 October 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Marg these paintings are sensational, that blue, I could drown in it…..love to know more of the facts (as depressing as they may be). xx

Posted 30 October 2013 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Thanks Millie. Me too. They were some of the ones I did after visiting North West Island. My turquoise period lol. Not sure I’ve really ever found another one. I’ve posted some links in a postscript above that you might find interesting and yes, depressing.

3. Janeen Hosemans
      Posted 30 October 2013 at 7:02 am | Permalink

Good questions Margie! Did anyone else weep in frustration watching the 7.30 Report last night on the plans to build the largest coal loading seaports in the Southern Hemisphere – guess where off the Barrier Fecking Reef! What!!

Posted 30 October 2013 at 9:21 am | Permalink

I missed it Janeen but will catch it on iview. They stopped them at James Price Point. Maybe we can take a leaf out of Russell Brand’s hat and start a revolution! That was the other thing I read last week that hit a nerve. He’s right on so many levels. The old saying if it ain’t broken don’t fix it. Well it is broken and it does need fixing. And that goes way beyond the Pacfic! end rant/.

4. Posted 30 October 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

I feel your pain. I read an article once in Nat Geo maybe on how the world’s food supplies or grain bins were dwindling. I didn’t know what to do with the information. I felt overwhelmed and scared and helpless. I know what you mean and I agree.
      Live,

Posted 30 October 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

One part of me gets really overwhelmed with this information Shalagh and the other part wants to fix it. Maybe if enough people are asking questions, answers might be a bit more forthcoming.

5. Posted 30 October 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Yes your ocean, mine and our children’s ocean! Don’t give up or give in, keep questioning x

Posted 31 October 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

And the poor marine creatures. There was a show on last night called Acid Oceans, about how the ph levels in the ocean are changing as a result of carbon dioxide being absorbed into the water. It particularly effects sea creatures with shells. The tiny tiny terapods found in the southern ocean are being effected and they are majorly important in the food chain. I found this great site Lisa. The Global Change Institute in Queensland. This is there facebook site https://www.facebook.com/GCIUQ. The more I’ve looked the more I’m finding but I think the scientists could use some help from the marketers of this world.

6. Maggie McLaren
      Posted 1 November 2013 at 10:25 am | Permalink

On the button as always Margaret. Your beautiful paintings make the message even more heart rending.

Posted 1 November 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink