one leaf wanders

“Where shall we go today?” she asked, unsure of the road ahead.

one gum leaf on linen

“What about we just go and let the rest take care of itself.”

leaf, stray linen and maple seed

“Maybe bring an umbrella. It’s one thing to be adventurous but it’s a whole other thing to be wet.”

elm design ceramic vase and vintage tablecloth

“Do you fancy some whimsy? How about a glass of colour from fat wombat farm?

vintage tea set and fat wombat pigments

Maybe I could paint you a leaf.

chinese calligraphy brushes, leaf and pigment

Just one pretty leaf.

Sprinkled with a little imagination.

chinese calligraphy brushes, vintage glass and pigments

And next thing you know we’ll be sitting on a verandah in southern Turkey dreaming up little adventures in the pre dawn light. In washed out apricots, soft pinks, sage greens and warm browns.

“I like the sound of that,” she said.

watercolour sketch from gulsha's verandah in adana turkey

And with that she took herself off for an afternoon nap.

The lazy warmth of post Christmas.

The cicadas are still screaming.

Tis the dream season.

That wonderful window when a whole new year lies ahead waiting to be filled with new adventures.

I have my head in The Luminaries (thanks for the tip on that one Janeen). I’ve been loving Claire Lloyd’s My Greek Island Home, Sophia and Rob Palmer’s Colour of Maroc, and Lisa Clifford and Carla Coulson’s Naples – A Way of Love,  I’ve been on the mattock for two days straight chopping up our front garden, inspired by Louisa Jones Nicole de Vesian: Gardens, Modern Design in Provence. And you’ll be pleased to know I haven’t hit the water main!  We’ve been watching movies and our favourite so far has been The Way Way Back.

Lazy lazy days. I’d like a year of these please. To go.

How about you? What are you loving in this little work free window?

Ceramic vase from my clever friend Peta at Elm Design.

1. Tracey
      Posted 29 December 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

I’m loving reading all the smart books I haven’t had brain space enough to read all year. The one you loaned me as well. Thanks and for your beautiful posts. Will check out the film looks like a goodie. PS we’re here in Bathurst till after NY eve. Love to see you for a holiday schnaps and spa.

Posted 29 December 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

I’m struggling to get past a couple of pages at a sitting without falling asleep. It’s wonderful. A holiday schnapps and spa sounds like a plan. xx

2. Roswyn sanders
      Posted 30 December 2013 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Hey I am loving your blog. It was great to see you at Christmas. Can you do me a favour and get Maddie to send to my email address of fabric places in Rajasthan as my eldest daughter will be there in a few days. Can you also tell me where the blog is you posted when Maddie went there as I would love to see it again

Thanks. Roswyn

3. Posted 30 December 2013 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Oh Marg,
      What a lovely little leaf. The pictures! The colors. My holiday? Sadly, Mommies don’t get time off. And the winter break promises to break someone as we have 7 more days of off-ness to endure. Yes to a schnapps and a spa even if I have no idea what that means.
      Happy Holidays!

Posted 30 December 2013 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Hang in there! 7 more days of off-ness to endure… funny.. are you covered in snow?

• Posted 30 December 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Since we live in Maryland South of the Mason-Dixon line, and are out on this huge peninsula which seems to stay warmer, alas, we just have a moat in front of our house. It rained and rained but no snow today. We even had a heat wave last week of 70 degrees. The true cold comes in February. I have a hard time imagining what it’s like to have it be commonplace to celebrate Christmas when it’s warm. I’m glad you’re relaxing and maxing dear far away friend.

Posted 30 December 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without the beach. Well perhaps not Christmas Day but a dose of salt water soon after is pretty mandatory here. I was just looking up the Mason-Dixon line. My brother and sister visited some of the Civil War sites a couple of years and I remember being surprised just how far north the conflict was. The M-D line is the same. It’s so far north. I kind of always imagined that it was much further ‘down south’.

• Posted 30 December 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

We live in an agricultural/historical hot spot. Also both Harriet Tubman and Frederick Douglas have history here. Underground railroad pathway. And funny that we live an hour away from the ocean. A beach day sounds lovely! We spent Thanksgiving at the beach when I was pregnant last year. Enjoy.

4. Donna Bevan
      Posted 30 December 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I loved this post Marg, I have so enjoyed your words and photography and sketches this past year. Very gentle and beautiful work. Happy 2014.

Posted 30 December 2013 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much Donna. So glad you’ve been enjoying the blog. Really nice of you to let me know. It’s made my night. It’d be lovely to catch up some time in Sydney with Sal and co. All the best to you in 2014. xx

5. Posted 31 December 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

I will take that adventure with a leaf, please marg.
      I hope it won’t be windy, and that it won’t stir much

X
      looking forward to seeing you soon, home now x

Posted 31 December 2013 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

For sure. Welcome back. Here’s to 2014. May it be a goodie! x

6. Posted 1 January 2014 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Loving lazing about and staying warm, drinking hot chocolate whilst reading in bed at night, seeing snow from the windows, nothing to do and nowhere to get……lovely xx

Happy New Year and can’t wait to see where it leads us all xx

Posted 1 January 2014 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Nothing to do and nowhere to get. Love it Lisa. I have a good feeling about this year 🙂

7. Posted 15 May 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

So, I clicked on the creative link on the right, and this post came up. I see its an oldie, but my goodness its a goodie. It had my mind wondering all kinds of places.

Posted 15 May 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink