A solitary trek up snow covered Mount Panorama

We’ve lived in Bathurst for 20 years and we’ve never seen a snow fall like this.

Not in the Bathurst valley.

They’re saying it’s the heaviest dump in 30 years.

mount panorama under snow

It started in the wee hours of the morning. Literally. And since Steve was up, I got up and since we were up we thought Darce might as well be up too. 17 year olds love being woken up at 4am to see snow.

4am home

At first light I decided to try my luck and take a walk to see if I could get to the top of Mount Panorama, now also known by its original name Wahluu – Wiradjuri for ‘sacred place’.

As it turned out I had the mountain to myself for an hour. Couldn’t believe it.

Just me, the birds, the quiet silence of snow and the odd council truck.

footsteps and car track in snow

Whoa!

View from the track

the view from mount panorama under snow

brock's skyline

I’d love to see the V8 boys take this on …

looking up the essex

esses mount panorama under snow

mount panorama esses under snow

Frozen, wet feet. Frozen, numb fingers. But who knows when we’ll see something like this again.

A pretty special here and now for our part of the world at least.

1. Posted 18 July 2015 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I drove through on Monday when there was a dusting of snow over fields. Honestly, I could have been in Scotland 30 years ago. The landscape is so very similar, and the stillness that snow brings. Your wide views just look like the Lothians where I come from, we’d get snow once or twice a year, never for long. A treat.

Posted 18 July 2015 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

The Lothians. That sounds like something out of Game of Thrones Seana. We very rarely get a dusting on the city itself.

2. Posted 18 July 2015 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

…someone crazy should have skiid the mount panorama track!

Posted 18 July 2015 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

It would be THE best ski run Andrea. I don’t know if they still do it but they used to have a festival up there called Newton’s Playground which had guys skateboarding down it. Mad!

3. stuart
      Posted 18 July 2015 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Wow! well done Margie!! xx

Posted 18 July 2015 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Cheers Stuart. Great way to start a day 🙂

4. judy
      Posted 2 August 2015 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

thankyou so much for the pictures Icouldnt take a beautiful day yet tragic …….. I tried to get up to the mount that morning but forgot about the mercs anyway god bless mercs god bless snow and god bless you fellow bathonian for your insight as to how lovely this town is … I was losing faith until i saw your maple leaf by the patterns of the waterfall……the waterfall that we all walk by without seeing what you see so hats off top job and thanks 🙂

Posted 3 August 2015 at 9:38 am | Permalink