‘Today we go to France!’

Every day Paolo is up at 5 am checking the weather.

‘Today we go to France!’ he declares one morning. ‘The weather in France iz good today.’

Ok. If we must … we shall go to France.

Roquebrune Cap Martin

Just across the Italian border on the French Riviera you can park your car at Cap Martin and there’s a walk that takes you around the point towards Monaco.

cap-martin-looking east to Menton

There were signs saying “No swimming off the rocks” but we couldn’t find any that said “No skinny dipping.”

Ever discreet.

cap martin walk

A nice little private bathing pavilion – if you have a spare gazillion.

cap martin beach shack

Mansions aplenty on our right all along the path – hidden behind lush, dense gardens – but the rocky coastline, its turquoise nooks and the Bay of Roquebrune with Monaco in the distance was the big drawcard.

cap martin walk

looking across to monaco

cap martin walk

monaco yacht and swimmers

Some lunch, an Aussie swim (that is, getting your hair wet and swimming out past the poseurs), a quick train hop back to Cap Martin, a couple of cheap last minute rooms on booking.com, a freshen up and a drive into the Provencal hinterland.

We were hoping to get to St Paul de Vence but the Var River blocked our path and rather than detouring miles to cross it, we found ourselves wandering instead in a little hilltop village called Aspremont.

aspremont doorway

aspremont

Lots of purples. My kind of town.

aspremont

Zen had had a long hot day, the most well traveled dog of any I know.

aspremont and zen

aspremont village

A winding run back into Nice where we had possibly the worst meal of the trip.

‘This … izz shiiiit.  I’m sorrrry but thizzz … thizzz izz survival food.  Tomorrow we go back to Italy!”

Ok. If we must … tomorrow we go back to Italy.

😉

1. Sue Douglas
      Posted 15 October 2015 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Fabulous Marg, very evocative, especially the Italian accent 🙂

Posted 23 October 2015 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

It was accompanied by lots of disgusted head shaking 🙂

2. Richard Thompson
      Posted 16 October 2015 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Great post and wonderful pictures as always!
      The food in Nice must be bad! My son Alex was there last month and said he had “The worst steak” he had ever attempted to eat in his life.

Posted 23 October 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

We made the traveller’s number 1 mistake of eating in a tourist zone. Frozen calamaris straight from the freezer department. gak.

3. Posted 19 October 2015 at 5:48 am | Permalink

So lovely and tres amusement that the the worst meal would be in Nice. When I travel there do make sure I know the name so I should avoid it. Glad you enjoyed yourselves so much!
      Love Ya’,

Posted 23 October 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

ooo but there’s some goodies still to come …. very soon. x