The hibernation and a case of busy head syndrome

bathurst sunset

We’ve had the shades pulled down for the last few months.

Winter. The rainiest, greyest one we’ve had for many years. Paddocks awash with water, dams overflowing. Snuggle down weather.

And that’s exactly what we’ve been doing. After six years in Sydney – at uni and working weekends – we’ve had our 24 year old daughter home with us for three months, working and saving for her next chapter – two years in New York.

She left last Wednesday.

It’s been a long lead up and we were all a big fragmented last week but she’s fallen into the lap of old friends in NY and moves into an apartment next week.

Ain’t skype grand.

Now I’m just getting used to this new concept of being the mother of an expat.

And time zones.

And recovering from discovering the cost of transporting a bed full of gear across.

And from transferring money to the wrong Bank of America account.  oops.

And that was just Tuesday. The day I forgot the bookkeeper was coming.

It’s all good.

But it has been hectic.

And so has work.

So … with the wattle in full bloom, the bulbs all bursting and the days themselves drawing out a new chapter begins.

Turn the page.

Breathe.

Months ago I’d booked into a weekend workshop with Alison’s Art Workshops at Huskisson, a two day tonal workshop with Aussie artist Maryanne Wick, based on the work of early 20th century Victorian artist Clarice Beckett. All new territory for me – Maryanne, Clarice, tonalism and the Jervis Bay area.  I know the far south coast really well but my god, how beautiful is the Bay area. (No pictures. Sorry. I had the camera with me and good intentions but was too busy to get it out.)

Two glorious, solid days of painting. Looking. Wrestling. Pushing. Learning.

Stayed high on a hill overlooking the sweep of still coastline and white sands.

Flirted briefly with the idea of moving down there. As you do. Stopped in front of a for sale sign at Hyam’s Beach overlooking the water. Looked it up. 1.95 million. Looked away very quickly haha.

So Polly (trusty canine) and I and assorted friends and family are back to walking our river.

And after the weekend painting and a few days for thoughts to settle, I’ve come away with a new sense of place. A new respect for place. I’ve realised how intimately I’ve come to know its nuances, its colours, its smells, its sounds.  And how beautiful it can be even when it’s clothed in its winter drabs.

I had a play with the oils this morning.

It’s all a work in progress but that’s part of the whole deal I think.

Exploring. Constantly exploring.

And therein lies the joy. And the frustration!

In all its different shapes and sizes.

1. Janet
      Posted 20 August 2016 at 6:27 am | Permalink

Just beautiful, Marg. X

Posted 20 August 2016 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Been a big few weeks Janet. Thanks again for the plane love xx

2. Helen Bergen
      Posted 20 August 2016 at 7:34 am | Permalink

lovely

3. Posted 21 August 2016 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

The greys and pinks in that painting are divine, gorgeous.

How lovely that you liked Jervis Bay. We do have a house down there, on the beach at Vincentia and it’s a marvellous place to be… just to be… although with four kids we’re usually not just being that much. We may not have that house much longer… we’ll see.

I’m sure I shall end up down there when the bairns have flown the coop… enticing prospect. All the best for your daughter, and for your own plans to visit her.

Posted 22 August 2016 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Thanks Seana. It’s changed again over the weekend.

I stayed at Vincentia. At this airbnb ttps://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/7547410. Top spot. I could think of worse places to land 🙂

The travel plans are already afoot haha. Very cheap flights at the moment to NY in May.
        Watch this space. We were discussing last night whether we could approach VW campervan businesses over there to lend us one and we could do some road tripping/travel blogging. 😉

4. Posted 23 August 2016 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Thought of you recently Marg. That I hadn’t heard a peep and that it was your Winter to my Summer. Glad you are well and how thrilling for your daughter. I am less than 3 hours South of NY btw. Glad she has friends there ! It’s a young person thing to do and she’s doing it. And so very very happy you are painting. You are a talented lady .
      Love to your men too,

Posted 24 August 2016 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Hi Shalagh. Hope you’ve had a beautiful summer. Maddy’s been reporting temps of 38 in NY. 38 that feels like 44! She had her first Orientation day on Monday and yes it is exciting to be underway. Wish I’d had the confidence at that age! Steve is wrestling with a 7 foot sculpture at the moment and Darce is in good form too, quietly hatching his 2017. Steve’s on facebook at Stephen Hogan Sculptures. 🙂

5. Tracey
      Posted 23 August 2016 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

You always capture colours and light so beautifully Marg – it’s a gift. Thanks once again.

Posted 24 August 2016 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Thanks Trace. Very much feeling my way but appreciate the thought and hope it gives others a little courage to have a go too.